Thursday, May 31, 2012

Quandaries

Yep, I'm in a few quandaries now.  We've been in this five-bedroom, two bath, full basement and attic storage house plus a two car garage with workshop and rafter storage for 16 years now (17 in the same city) and we're moving to a 3 br, two bath, hard-to-get-to attic storage no garage, no basement house.  For the past years I've become a hoarder, yes, I admit it.  I've had to touch everything I've sorted and packed only to realize I don't have room in the house in which we're moving to even store the boxes I already have packed that rest in a storage facility at present.  That's not even half the problem.  We have to move into a donated, rented small 2 br, one bath one closet farm house (thankfully with a huge garage) until the house I mentioned first is cleaned, painted, re-carpeted and dry walled.  Everything has to go to storage or into the rented garage.  How do I plan for the things that are necessities for a month, two, three while we live in Rented Wonder?  Who knows?  I'm overwhelmed now and just want to eat chocolate.  Aaaarg!

1 comment:

  1. I remember when my dad moved our family (6 kids) from PA to AZ in 1955. He sold our big house and bought a 35 ft long 8ft wide house trailer for us to live in. We had to quickly prioritize what we could keep, and it was hardly anything at all other than basic clothing. I kept my camera also. You do learn that you have way too much stuff and you only need a small part of that. So:

    1) Review again your possessions and be brutal. Give, sell or throw away anything you haven't used for a year. If you don't, your kids will when you die anyway. Then repack, hopefully into far fewer boxes.

    2) Expect to rent storage space once you are out of the big-garage temp house until you:

    3) Build a large garage with plenty of storage in the house you are remodeling.

    4) Redo step 1 as needed.

    5) Eat more chocolate.

    I used to go to a lot of estate sales when I was dealing with antique furniture, and it was always very sad to see a person's lifelong collection of stuff either sold off for a pittance or thrown away or even stepped on (e.g. old family photos on the floor). I learned not to place too much value on things, because I saw too many kids turning their parent's treasures into cash after the parents died with strange people pawing through the deceased stuff.

    Sally, I will miss you terribly! But you are a tough lady and you will make things work out. I hope you keep this blog open as well!

    ReplyDelete